Friday, August 6, 2010

Canned Tuna!!! Are you kidding??

Imagine you have unexpected guests arriving soon. You look in the fridge and see nothing but half-filled jars of condiments. There's a couple hot sauce packets, some mayo, maybe some assorted mustards that are just sitting on the door panel and of questionable age. You look in the pantry, and see half-filled bags of “stuff” held together with clothespins or an old rubber band, and a bunch of spices you had no idea you owned. What are you going to do??

This recipe may be just what you need. This was given to me by a friend who happens to be one of the biggest food snobs I know. The words “you got to trust me” were spoken upon delivery. I don’t like canned tuna. I don’t like the thought of using it in anything, so why would I get this recipe, much less post it on the internet??

Had anyone else passed me this recipe, I would not have even tried it. But here I am, passing this along to you with the words "You gotta Trust me!"

Please note that this recipe was made for lettuce wraps, pita chips or even a cold slice of cucumber. Do NOT try it on bread like a typical tuna salad, or you'll want to poke me in the eye.

1 can Yellowfin Tuna chunked
2 T Sambal Olek (found in any asian store or any bachelors fridge)
2 T Sesame Oil
2 T Hellmans light mayo
1/2 T Light Soy Sauce
1/2 T kosher Salt
1/2 T Black Sesame Seed
1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 T Honey
1/4 C Dried Cranberries
2 Stalks Green Onion (chopped)
1/4 C Carrot (fine chopped or grated)
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/4 C Fresh Cilantro (chopped)

Mix it all together in a bowl and it can be kept in the fridge overnight. In fact, it seems to get better the next day...

No comments: