Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Keep It Local - Rhubarb Strawberry Cream Pie

Recently Molly and I decided to head to Minneapolis and roam around the Minneapolis Farmers Market. We got in the car and drove the 52 miles only to wonder where all the pineapple farms in Minnesota are? Also, when looking at the signs above each vendor I wondered what “licensed re-seller” meant? Could go to the grocery store, buy a case of avocados and sell them at a farmers market? I’m not bagging on the Minneapolis Farmers Market as local farmers DO get a chance to get up each morning to sell their passions and goods, I am simply wondering... how can we truly support the local farmers and growers within reach of our own community?

I found it. The Minnesota Department of Agriculture has its own website with a search engine that lists all the local & CSA Farms (Community support Agriculture), retailers and pretty much anything food stuff by simply typing in your zip code!
www.minnesotagrown.com

I had no idea that I have 95 options of supporting my local farmers and retailers within 20 miles from my house. I knew New Prague and Prior Lake had great farmers markets, though I had no idea Lakeville, Apple Valley and even Burnsville have local farmers markets too.

It is all in the website. Check it out and keep it Local!!

Speaking of keeping it local... Working in a professional kitchen I am fortunate to work with some pretty amazing people and even better cooks. This recipe was given to me by a friend who has a passion for baking and keeping it simple.

I can not pretend that this is my recipe as I have stated many times in the past that I do not & can not bake! Give me a grill, a sauté pan or a broiler and I can do some cool things, but give me a measuring cup and an oven and I will wreck what ever I try though even I can make this dessert! Top it with some Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!

Rhubarb Strawberry Cream Pie
That’s Right... I said Cream Pie. As soon as you try this, you will see what I mean! Yum!

The What
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten 4 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups halved fresh strawberries
2 Pillsbury 9 inch pie crust
1 egg white

The How
1. Set oven to 400
2. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, and nutmeg. Stir in eggs. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries making sure to coat well. Pour mixture into pie crust. Place second crust on top being sure to cut slits into it to vent steam. Brush egg white on top crust.
3. Bake roughly 50 to 60 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and crust is golden.

\m/ Richard

1 comment:

Susan Berkson said...

Hi Karen:
Along with our 200 grower/members (more than you'll find anywhere else) are 4 resellers. They are tightly controlle, no new ones may join. They'rehere because the City & the neighborhood want them here. This neighborhood is underserved->there is no where else for people to get bananas & pineapples.